Health literacy means you are able to access, understand and use health information to make decisions to maintain your health. It also means you can:
- find and access the health services you need
- communicate your needs to doctors and other health care workers
understand and act on the instructions you receive
Literacy skills are connected to the health and well-being of Canadians and impact the costs of health care.
- Literacy and Health fact sheet (Pdf)
- Family and community health literacy resources
- 2014 NWT Literacy Week theme is Literacy: Our health depends on it