The NWT Literacy Council believes:
- Everyone has a right to literacy.
- Literacy involves everyone – individuals, families, communities, business, labour and governments.
- Literacy and essential skills are the foundation of lifelong learning. They support active participation in the social, economic and political life of our communities, our territory and our country.
We help NWT communities build their capacity to support literacy and essential skills programs. We:
- Develop resources and learning materials
- Mentor, train and support local literacy workers and projects
- Design, write and edit plain language documents
- Promote, research and share information about literacy and essential skills
- Monitor and respond to territorial and national literacy and essential skills policies