Chapter One – Fort Yukon
Activity 1 - Vocabulary
Learners look these words up and use them in sentences to show the meaning of the word (Handout 1).
Activity 2 – Chapter Questions
Learners answer questions about the chapter. The questions are listed on Handout 2. Below are the questions and answers for the instructor.
Questions: p. 16-18
- What event does Velma remember from her childhood? Getting up at 6am and going with her dad in their Evinrude boat to check the fish nets.
- Who was she with? Her dad.
- Where did she go? Up the river in Fort Yukon.
- What season was it? Summer.
- How old was she? 6.
- Where and when was Velma born? Fort Yukon, Alaska, 1960.
- What was happening at that time with young Native men? They were beginning to rally for their rights in Alaska.
- What certificate do tourists get when they go to Fort Yukon? A certificate that they have crossed the Arctic Circle.
- How many kids did women raise in those days? From ten to thirteen children or around a dozen.