Chapter Two: “Let us die trying”
Activity 1 – Vocabulary
- New Words (Handout 1)
Learners guess the meaning of the bolded word in the sentences given. Then they look each word up in a dictionary and write the best definition down. Learners then write a sentence for each word.
- Word Sort (Handout 2)
It is easier to say and spell words by:
Learners practice these skills on Handout 2.
- Breaking the words into parts called syllables.
- Saying the parts loudly or softly (accent).
- Finding short words inside the long words.
Activity 2 – Language Skills
- Suffixes (Handout 3)
Learners look at words from Chapter 2 and write out some suffix rules for ed and ing.
- Verbs (Handouts 4 and 5)
Learners refresh their skills with verbs, linking verbs and verb tenses. Handouts 4 and 5 provide information and practice exercises on verbs.
Activity 3 – Chapter Questions
Learners answer comprehension questions from the chapter on Handout 6.
Activity 4 – Reflection and Journal Writing
- Writing Response: A reading response is an overview of the chapter. Summarize the chapter. Write the important ideas or events. The summary must be short and contain only the main ideas in the chapter.
- Journal Writing: Pretend you are Sa'. Write a one-page journal entry about how you feel about being left behind.