Homophones are words that sound the same, but are spelled differently and
have different meanings. Played like Go Fish, in this game players try to get
pairs of homophones. The first person to get rid of all of your cards wins.
- You will need a deck of “Right Write” cards.
Use index cards and write out the homophones with a pen or marker, or print
a copy of the attached list of
homophones onto a piece of card stock paper.
- Go over the list of words together to review the meaning of each word.
- Shuffle the cards and deal seven cards to each player.
- Place the remaining cards face down in a “pick up” pile. Make a discard pile
by flipping over the top card from the deck and laying it down face up next to
the pick up pile.
- Choose one person to begin. They pick the top card from either the pick up
pile or the discard pile. They look at the cards in their hand, and check to see if
they have any matching homophones. If yes, they set the pair down and either
state the meaning of each word, or use each word in a sentence. They discard
one card from their hand onto the discard pile, and their turn is done.
- It’s now the next person's turn. This continues until one player has no more
cards left in their hand. The first player to get rid of all of their cards is the